The Wolf Safety Lamp Company was established in Leeds in the 1880's as a distributor for German mining lamp manufacturer Friemann and wolf. In 1912, the Leeds company was acquired and relocated to South Yorkshire where it began to develop safety lamps more suited to British methods and regulations of mining and quarrying.
Throughout the following decades, many new products were developed to meet new safety regulations and demands for improved lighting. The most significant was the introduction of the compressed air operated lamps in the 1930’s. These are still manufactured today, though much improved due to modern light source and control technology.
The 1960's and 70's were a period of great change and diversification for Wolf Safety as the demand for mine lighting decreased significantly. The path of progress lead us to the industrial sector and by the 1980's we had developed new industrial safety lamps including the first Wolflite handlamps and Intrinsically Safe torches.
In response to the introduction in the 2000’s of the ATEX directive on equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres, Wolf Safety focused heavily on developing new ATEX certified torches and integrating new LED light technology into existing and future products.
In the late 2000’s Wolf Safety expanded with the introduction of temporary lighting and power distribution solutions including the LinkEx™ temporary luminaires, floodlites, leadlamps and worklites.
In 2012, Wolf Safety celebrated its centenary anniversary and welcomed HRH The Earl of Wessex to Saxon Road Works to unveil Wolf's Centenary plaque.
Wolf is now the world’s leading manufacturer of hazardous area portable and temporary lighting, with the widest range of ATEX and IECEx certified explosion protected lighting and power distribution systems designed in the United Kingdom for safe use in potentially explosive atmospheres worldwide.