Royal Visit Marks Start of Centenary Celebrations
On the 25th January 2012, Wolf Safety were very pleased to welcome HRH The Earl of Wessex to our factory on Saxon Road Works in order to unveil Wolf's Centenary plaque.
Wolf Safety was established in Sheffield in 1912 as a manufacturer of Safety Lamps used in coal mines to protect against the risk of gas explosions. Miners' lamps continued to be made from that time into the 1970s, but as demand from the coal industry diminished, Wolf Safety diversified into the manufacture of industrial safety lamps for safe use in offshore oil and gas production and processing, fire-fighting, power generation and public utilities.
Wolf is now a world leader in this niche market, developing, manufacturing and selling highly specialised and technologically advanced lighting equipment into diverse and critical applications, where explosive gas, vapour and dust atmospheres are present.
With a total staff of 37, Wolf products are manuafctured and sold to customers throughout the UK, Europe and the rest of the World, with more than 60% of sales going for export.
The visit began with a brief lunch in the boardroom and the opportunity for HRH to see a collection of the original mining lamps, before then moving into the sales office to meet the sales team and learn about the many worldwide markets that Wolf products are sold into.
The tour of the factory then took place with the first stop in Research & Development giving HRH the opportunity to see a number of development projects where products have recently been brought to market. HRH was then given a tour of the factory with the opportunity to see the current products in production and talk to the shop floor staff.
The visit concluded with a short speech from John Jackson, the Wolf Chairman, and Prince Edward himself. HRH was then presented with a number of gifts for himself and his family before unveiling Wolf's Centenary plaque and signing the visitor book.